I have to admit that one of my favorite memories from childhood was curling up with my mom and watching the country music top 20 countdown. I have vivid memories of standing in front of the TV while we both tried our best to mimic Martina McBride's flawless arm movements during her timeless song "where would you be" (check it out - 1:24/3:30 have an epic lift http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fRBLzffy5U). She had the ability to sweep that arm up towards the sky so powerfully and then swing it down at the perfect moment. Anyways... It is something we have done together for years but recently haven’t found time to do until last Saturday. Due to a series of unfortunate events I ended up on my couch home alone that night. I was trying to keep morale high by attempting to convince myself that it’s totally normal to be 23 and spend back to back nights alone in front of the TV. I decided to be productive and I managed to get a little homework done, lit some candles, drank some tea and watched a few movies on Netflix. My mom cruised in right around 10:30 when morale was starting to drop and seeing me sprawled out with my unwashed (but beautifully baby-powedered hair), no make up and in my PJ’s she timidly asked if I’d want to watch the countdown with her. That is what we did. Just like old times.
Tonight we are watching the CMA awards. I love country music. I love that it tells a story and has catchy lyrics. Sorry bout it. I thought I would share a few observations and thoughts regarding the production:
Luke Bryan: You are good at what you do and I like your song "shake it for me". But here’s the deal. Do yourself a favor and don’t try to shake it. Ever. Actually, it would probably be a good idea not to dance at all, especially not while standing on chairs. Also, don’t ever wear those tight and sparkly pants again. You’re a “cowboy”. You aren't allowed to wear sparkle skinny pants.
Carrie underwood: You are beautiful, and probably the most charming person of all time. I have no idea how you had the energy to change 93 times in one evening, but you managed to look great in every outfit and you have Barbie Doll legs. Good for you.
Sugarland: You make a pathetic pouty face all the time. The Hartman family is over you.
Eric Church: Sunglasses inside? Really?
Lady Antebellum: You win. I love you.
Sara Evans: Go back to you bucket of suds and stop trying to be sultry in your pants suit. You were so cute and lovable. Dark and bitter isn't a great look for you.
Taylor Swift: This is going to sound harsh, but I’m genuinely curious how you became famous with a mediocre voice. Don’t get me wrong, I can honestly sing every lyric to 90% of your songs and I am a huge fan but it is just a mystery to me. Also, I think I owned that pink knit sweater in 1997.
The Band Perry: I couldn’t be happier that you won so many awards.
On another note:
High point of my day: I walked out of class for the fourth time in order to stay sane and a cute, little classmate of mine was in the hall. She is a beautiful, slender, quiet girl who rarely talks up in class. We both noticed that there was a peanut MandM package hanging on by thread in the vending machine, looking like it was about to fall. I make the comment that it would probably fall out if someone hit the machine. Next think I know she is body slamming it but having no success. I start laughing – obviously – because it seems to be extremely out of character for her. I’m not over exaggerating when I say body slam. She took a few steps back, hugged her arms into her chest and legitimately threw her body into the machine. . Then, my good friend Kayla prances out of class to get water and finds the other classmate staring desperately at the MandM’s. They decide to body slam in unison and before I’m back in the classroom I hear them count to 3, run and hurl themselves at the machine. Obviously cheers followed as the MandM’s fell out. Bottom line, I have nothing but respect for their fearless and courageous effort to get the chocolate. I’m fully impressed.I proceeded to get frozen yogurt, hang out with my best friend from high school, buy a retro UW sweatshirt, eat pizza and paint my nails. All of which were high points. Great day for me.
Low Point of my day: Spending an hour of class looking at sweet treat recipes on foodgawker.com (my new favorite website.. seriously, go look at it… now) and realizing that the holidays are going to be moderately depressing now that I’m allergic to gluten, eggs and corn and can indulge in none of the seasonal goodies.


Hartman. you never fail to entertain me.
ReplyDelete